It’s Popcorn time again
Yes it’s time to visit your neighbors, raise funds for the pack, earn some cool rewards – including CAMP VOUCHERS – and have some fun!!
Details on the program
As in previous years, the Popcorn Fundraiser is the only source of funds for the Pack’s operations. It runs through October 25th, and pays for:
- Pinewood Derby Cars
- Blue & Gold Banquet
- Belt Loops, Pins & Patches
- Pack Meeting Entertainment
- Den Supplies
- Hiking Sticks
- Rank Books
- Neckerchiefs & Slides
- Field Trips
- Scout Leader Training
- Purchase of gift cards and baskets at Thanksgiving
- Financial support (camperships) for some scouts’ Pack registrations/camp fees
- Major purchases like the new Pinewood Derby Track in 2011
- and more!
Unlike many other Packs, we do not collect dues at Den or Pack meetings. Popcorn provides ALL we need to give you a quality Scouting program.
We hope that this year’s fundraiser will be a positive learning experience for every Cub Scout. Raising funds teaches responsibility in supporting the Scout’s Den and Pack, as well as teaches important communication, presentation, and organizational skills. Participation in the fundraiser is also a requirement for those Scouts who receive scholarships for Pack registration or camp. You can find more details in the Parent Handout
The best way to fill those sheets and earn awards is to get out there and sell! Here are some tips for you to consider:
- Make sure you call or visit all your relatives and practice your “sales pitch” at the same time.
- Always have an adult with you when selling door-to-door, and never enter a stranger’s house without your adult companion next to you.
- When you go up to a neighborhood door, make sure you’re wearing your uniform properly, and that you look presentable. Have your shirt tucked in, your hat on, your neckerchief, etc. People like seeing Cub Scouts in their uniforms!
- SMILE!! You’d be amazed at how important a cheerful attitude is when selling.
- When your neighbor answers the door, make sure you say “Hi there!” or “Hello!” or “Good Morning!” first – don’t jump right into your sales pitch. Also, try to look people in the eye and be confident – they will pick up on this and be more willing to listen to you.
- Deliver your pitch. Something like “My name is John Smith, and I’m with Cub Scout Pack 106. I am raising money for our Scouting program. Will you help me?”
- If they say they can’t afford it, you can mention that cash donations are also appreciated. Sometimes people will just want to donate, and that’s fine! Mark it on your “sheet” as a unit sold, but write “Cash” instead of marking off any popcorn selection.
- If people still don’t want to buy any, or have already bought some from another scout, don’t get upset or frustrated! Smile and say, “No problem, and thank you!” anyway. It’s important that people think positively about you and your Pack.
- Keep track of which houses you’ve visited, but where nobody was home. Go back at another time and try them again. There may still be a sale there!
- Keep going! It might take a few attempts to get some interested people, so don’t give up! Ring those bells!
Our sales period runs all the way through to October 25th, so get out as early as you can, and visit as many houses as you can. We’re hoping for an average of 30 units sold per boy.
In addition to personal sales, we’re having three Pack Sales events:
- Saturday, September 27th, 9am-12 noon – Neighborhood Blitz! – sign up HERE
- Saturday, October 5th – 9am-4pm Stop & Shop Show and Sell! Coordinate with your Den Leader for times – each Den will have a one-hour slot.
- Saturday, October 25th, 9am-4pm – Stop & Shop Show and Sell! Coordinate with your Den Leader for times – each Den will have a one-hour slot.
These dates can also be found in the Parent Sales Handout
- Please collect payment as you sell – all payments are due on October 25th
- Please summarize your sales on the attached spreadsheet
spreadsheet – it makes the task of collating and verifying sales MUCH easier for the Queens.
For every completed sheet the boys win additional prizes.
- Sheet 1 – Win a “Pop Star” patch and 2 free tickets to the Worcester Sharks !!
- Sheet 2 – Win a “Star Pin” and $10 in Treasure Valley Bucks
- Sheet 3 – Win another “Star Pin” and $16 in Treasure Valley Bucks
- Sheet … – every additional sheet wins a “Star Pin” and $20 in Treasure Valley Bucks
Completed sheets should be scanned and emailed to email@example.com – can you also please cc the popcorn queens too – firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
|A whole selection of cool prizes can be earned – backpack, compass, sleeping bag and even a tent !!
If you would rather have an Amazon or Walmart gift card instead of a prize – that’s OK. A full list of gift cards and prizes can be found in the prize flyer
|For the first sheet filled (30 customers), the boy will earn Two Worcester Sharks tickets!|
|For each sheet filled (30 customers), the boy will earn a cool ‘Pop Star Patch’! Each additional filled sheet sold will result in a star pin that can be applied to the patch!|
|8% of a boy’s sales will count towards the Treasure Valley Camping event (minimum of $800 in sales)! If the boy sells over $1500, they get 15% of their sales towards Treasure Valley Camping! This credit is good for two years, and can be taken with them into a Boy Scout Troop.|
|Sell 20 units and you will get a “Scary Paracord Mummy” – custom made and available in a variety of colors|
|Scouts who fill a sheet by the October Pack Meeting can enter a drawing to mash a pie into the Cubmaster’s face!!!. Scouts who have sold 50 units by then will automatically get a chance to pie the Cubmaster|
|New in 2014! The top selling boy in each rank by number of units sold (for Tigers, Wolves, and Bears) will win a Lego Movie Set|
|New in 2014! The top selling boy in each rank by number of units sold (for Webelos and Arrow of Light Scouts) will win a Lego Minecraft Set|
|The Top Selling Boy in the Pack (by units sold) will earn A Razor Electric Scooter|
|And don’t forget – if the pack hits our fundraising target we all get to go to Dave and Busters !!! Woo Hoo !!!|
You can find a copy of the popcorn presentation here
If you have any question please contact one of your Popcorn Queens :-